The Education Code lists the following as the only legal excuses for absences from school:
- Personal Illness: The school may require certification from a doctor if it is deemed advisable. (After 3 or more consecutive days absence due to illness, a note from a doctor is required and/or prior to 84 period absences.)
- Quarantine in the Home: An absence arising from this condition is limited to the length of quarantine as fixed by the county or city health officer.
- Death of a Relative: For the purpose of attending the funeral services of a member of the immediate family (mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, brother, sister). One (1) day for in state, and three (3) days for out of state.
- Religious Reasons: (3 days allowed per semester)
- Counseling Appointment: Any student absence due to a counseling appointment must be cleared with written proof of the appointment from the counselor’s office.
- Medical Appointment: Services rendered include medical, dental, optometry or chiropractic. Any student absence due to a doctor or dental appointment must be cleared with written proof of the appointment from the doctor or dental office.
- School Activity: This includes field trips, or other school sponsored activities.
- Probation Appointment: Must be verified by a note from the probation officer.
- Court Appearance: Copy of court document required to be considered excused.