Welcome to the Transportation Department
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, “students are about 70 times more likely to get to school safely when taking a bus instead of traveling by car.”
At OUHSD, we believe a school bus driver is a daily hero. Each day, a school bus driver is responsible for inspecting their bus for safety, employing defensive driving techniques, scanning the road for hazards and suspicious activity as well as the whereabouts of students outside of their bus; all the while maintaining the safety of up to 78 students sitting behind them. A school bus driver has an incredibly difficult and responsible job that requires continuous training.
The OUHSD transportation office staff and mechanics are also certified school bus drivers and substitute for our drivers as needed. Despite the national shortage, we try to maintain a pool of substitute school bus drivers to ensure the buses keep rolling. To that end, we employ a DOE certified trainer and provide free training to qualified applicants.
OUHSD transportation department facts:
- We also provide bus transportation for the Oroville City Elementary School District - If you have received a code for school transportation for an OCESD student - please click here to register. Registration will open on 7/2/2019.
- Our district covers 668 square miles.
- We employ 22 certified school bus drivers, 4 substitute school bus drivers, 11 courier drivers, and 4 substitute courier drivers.
- We employ two full-time mechanics and one assistant mechanic to maintain our fleet of 34 school buses and 33 transport vehicles.
- Our registered ridership is 1,621 pupils.
- We operate 18 home-to-school routes, cover 1516 miles and perform 350 stops each day.
- Our drivers covered 277,830 miles for home-to-school transportation last year.
- We transported students 90,823 miles for field trips and other activities last year.
Here in the transportation department, we understand the significance of these statistics and the importance of recognizing our students as something greater than a statistic. Our drivers are more than advocates for rider safety; we are the first and last face a student sees representing the school. Smiles (like transportation at OUHSD) are free!
Transportation Safety Plan