District English Learner Advisory Committee (DELAC)
Each California public school district, grades kindergarten through 12, with 51 or more English learners must form a District-level English Learner Advisory Committee (DELAC) or subcommittee of an existing district-wide advisory committee. The purpose of the DELAC, or subcommittee on English learner education, is to advise the district's local governing board (e.g., in person, by letters/reports) on programs and services for English learners.
The committee advises the district’s Board of Trustees on the following issues:
Development or revision of a district master plan of education programs and services for English learners, taking into consideration the Single School Plans for Student Achievement.
- Conduct a district-wide needs assessment, as needed.
- Establishment of district program, goals, and objectives for programs and services for English learners
- Development of a plan to ensure compliance with any applicable teacher and instructional aide requirements.
- Review and comment on the district’s reclassification procedures.
- Review and comment on the written notifications required to be sent to parents and guardians